Oh how I remember 6 years ago today. Going to the doctor in Memphis and her saying that I was 1 cm
dialated, but that it could be several days, even weeks before I could go into labor. Lily was lazily hanging out sideways in my stomach, and if she wasn't turned by then or decided to appear into the world, then we would do a C-section on Sept 13
th. I went back to work and continued to get the media plan I was working on done so that it wasn't left hanging while I was out for a week or two (it was my first baby,
ok...I was optimistic) Went to bed that night and low and behold at 2 a.m. my water broke. After calling my mom to confirm that I was indeed suppose to go to the hospital ("What to Expect When You Are Expecting" totally blanked from my head..I just needed my Mommy's reassurance and directions) I remember Scott and I laughing as I sat on towels while we drove down empty streets to Baptist Memorial Hospital (trivia: same hospital Elvis died in.. Lily likes to brag on that one) 4 hours later I was in the OR staring into lights as Scott and I heard our first lovely daughter's first cry. She was a bit early (3 weeks) and weighed 4 lbs 6
ozs, but miraculously had fully developed lungs and was in perfect health. The rest of that day is quite blurry (could have been the sweet drugs that made me think I was walking right out of there and finishing my media plan..
LOL!)
Looking back though...the pregnancy and this night full of uncertainty, needles and hospital chaos was the EASY part - nurturing, teaching and shaping the life of a child is the
hard part and for that I celebrate 6 years and counting of a daughter who is intelligent, cultured and overall GOOD person.
Happy Birthday Lilybug!
1 comment:
Happy birthday Lily!
Post a Comment